Come to this class with an eagerness to explore the human portrait.
Artist Lance Dooley will show you the skills required to sculpt the human portrait.
- Correctly block in the framework of the human face
- Learn about the anatomy of the face and how bones & cartilage give our face it's shape
- Understand how sharp and soft transitions can bring realism to your sculpture
- How to use realtive comparison to make the features the correct size in realtion to the whole
- Train your eye to recognize the natural shapes and avoid a repetitive fabricated look
- Sculpt a likeness of the model, not create a generic person
Armature (armatures are provided by instructor and student has option to purchase armature at end of class)
- (1) Bag of Clay (provided by the instructor): Vashon White or other type of clay that has mechanical properties optimal for sculpting ($10)
student should obtain and bring the following items ...
- (1) Aluminum Caliper that can span at least 10" ($6)
- (1) Fettling Knife with long blade and wooden handle, this is used to draw on the clay ($5)
- (1) Putty Knife with steel blade that is not too thin or flimsy - used to push & pack the clay on ($7)
- Wooden Sculpting Tools (large and small) - ($12)
* It is possible to buy pre-made head armatures and sculplting tools from various art stores and online art stores, such as
www.seattlepotterysupply.com - Vashon White Clay (25 lb bag costs $10)